Posts for: February, 2020
Having a sore throat could make it very frustrating and even painful to talk and eat. It brings with it irritation, scratchiness, and pain that usually worsens when swallowing. While there are many reasons why you could develop a sore throat, an evaluation by one of the ENT doctors here at Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, can help determine what’s the actual cause.
Common Sore Throat Causes
- Excessive screaming or shouting: These activities can cause inflammation or irritation of the throat and consequently, sore throat.
- Airborne Irritants and Toxins: Plenty of substances such as air pollution, cigarettes smoke, and noxious chemicals, could cause a sore throat.
- Foreign Bodies: The most common foreign bodies responsible for sore throats include dry foodstuff and tiny bones from animal meats.
- Health Conditions: Certain medical issues like allergies, postnasal drip, tumors, cough, and GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, could cause sore throats.
- Injury or Trauma: Any injury or trauma to your neck and/or throat region could result in a sore throat.
- Viral Infections: Upper respiratory infections and common colds are usually caused by viruses. These viruses, including influenza, mumps, Epstein-Barr, herpangina, and croup, can all cause sore throats.
- Bacterial Infections: Certain bacterial infections that could result in sore throats include tonsillitis, strep throat, diphtheria, epiglottitis, and peritonsillar abscess. In rare cases, STDs or sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea could likewise cause sore throats.
When to See Your Doctor for a Sore Throat
While most cases of sore throat can be resolved through home remedies such as resting your throat, gargling water with salt, using a humidifier to moisturize the air in your room, and using lozenges/throat sprays, you should see your doctor in Pembroke Pines, FL if you:
- Have symptoms that persist or worsen for more than one week
- Are pregnant and are experiencing severe symptoms that don’t go away within three days
- Are experiencing throat pain with tenderness in your neck region and/or fever
- Have symptoms that make it difficult for you to swallow or breathe properly
Otherwise, you should seek urgent medical attention right away if you suffer from a sore throat and are experiencing heart palpitations, swelling of the lips or tongue, and/or have difficulty taking medications.
Need Relief from Your Sore Throat?
Reach out to the Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, to schedule a consultation with one of our ENT doctors, Dr. Craig Shapiro or Dr. Sina Joorabchi. Request an appointment using our online form or by calling (954) 438-7171. We are proud to serve Pembroke Pines, Broward County, and the surrounding Hollywood area.