Posts for: May, 2020
Sinusitis results in inflammation of the sinuses. When this happens, drainage of mucus will be restricted, causing buildup of mucus in the sinuses. The common cold is the top culprit of acute sinusitis and unless it progresses into a bacterial infection, most cases resolve themselves in a week or two with home cures.
However, if your sinus problems persist longer than 12 weeks even with medical treatment, you should consult with your ENT doctor here at Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, Dr. Sina Joorabchi or Dr. Craig Shapiro, for more progressive treatments.
Basic Sinusitis Treatments
The majority of sinusitis cases get better without medical treatment, and oftentimes, home care techniques are all that’s need for symptom relief. These include:
- Sufficient Rest. This will aid in speeding up recovery and make your body more efficient at fighting off infection.
- Moistening the Sinus Cavities. Breathe in the moist, warm air while taking a hot shower. You can likewise drape a clean cloth over your head while breathing in vapor from a container with hot water. Both will help loosen the mucus buildup and alleviate sinus pain.
- Clear Out Your Nasal Passages. You can use a neti pot or a specially made squeeze bottle for rinsing to clear mucus buildup in your sinuses.
Depending on your specific symptoms, your doctor might likewise recommend the following treatment to ease your symptoms:
- Saline nasal sprays
- Nasal corticosteroids to treat and prevent further inflammation
- OTC Painkillers
- These come in OTC types, tablets, capsules, nasal sprays, and prescription liquids. Use as recommended since rebound congestion or more severe congestion might occur.
- These are usually recommended for treating persistent, progressive, and very severe symptoms. Make sure to finish the whole course of antibiotics even when you feel better since stopping the treatment too soon could result in the recurrence of your symptoms.
- If your sinus issues are caused by allergies, your ENT doctor in Pembroke Pines, FL, may also suggest immunotherapy or allergy shots to help decrease your body’s reaction to particular allergy triggers or allergens.
Visit your ENT doctor or get urgent help if you notice the following symptoms:
- High fever
- Pain, redness, or swelling around the eyes
- Stiff neck
- Vision changes such as seeing double
Preventing Sinus Problems
To help lower the chances of developing acute sinusitis, use a humidifier at home, avoid respiratory infections, pollution, and cigarette smoke, and make sure that your allergies are always under control.
If You Are Concerned or Have Questions About Your Sinus Symptoms, Call Us
Dial (954) 438-7171 to arrange an appointment with one of our ENT doctors, Dr. Sina Joorabchi or Dr. Craig Shapiro, here at Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL.