Posts for category: Otolaryngology
Having a sore throat could make it very frustrating and even painful to talk and eat. It brings with it irritation, scratchiness, and pain that usually worsens when swallowing. While there are many reasons why you could develop a sore throat, an evaluation by one of the ENT doctors here at Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, can help determine what’s the actual cause.
Common Sore Throat Causes
- Excessive screaming or shouting: These activities can cause inflammation or irritation of the throat and consequently, sore throat.
- Airborne Irritants and Toxins: Plenty of substances such as air pollution, cigarettes smoke, and noxious chemicals, could cause a sore throat.
- Foreign Bodies: The most common foreign bodies responsible for sore throats include dry foodstuff and tiny bones from animal meats.
- Health Conditions: Certain medical issues like allergies, postnasal drip, tumors, cough, and GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease, could cause sore throats.
- Injury or Trauma: Any injury or trauma to your neck and/or throat region could result in a sore throat.
- Viral Infections: Upper respiratory infections and common colds are usually caused by viruses. These viruses, including influenza, mumps, Epstein-Barr, herpangina, and croup, can all cause sore throats.
- Bacterial Infections: Certain bacterial infections that could result in sore throats include tonsillitis, strep throat, diphtheria, epiglottitis, and peritonsillar abscess. In rare cases, STDs or sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia and gonorrhea could likewise cause sore throats.
When to See Your Doctor for a Sore Throat
While most cases of sore throat can be resolved through home remedies such as resting your throat, gargling water with salt, using a humidifier to moisturize the air in your room, and using lozenges/throat sprays, you should see your doctor in Pembroke Pines, FL if you:
- Have symptoms that persist or worsen for more than one week
- Are pregnant and are experiencing severe symptoms that don’t go away within three days
- Are experiencing throat pain with tenderness in your neck region and/or fever
- Have symptoms that make it difficult for you to swallow or breathe properly
Otherwise, you should seek urgent medical attention right away if you suffer from a sore throat and are experiencing heart palpitations, swelling of the lips or tongue, and/or have difficulty taking medications.
Need Relief from Your Sore Throat?
Reach out to the Broward Center for Ear Nose Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, to schedule a consultation with one of our ENT doctors, Dr. Craig Shapiro or Dr. Sina Joorabchi. Request an appointment using our online form or by calling (954) 438-7171. We are proud to serve Pembroke Pines, Broward County, and the surrounding Hollywood area.
Your ENT specialists in Pembroke Pines, FL, can help you feel better
Sinus headaches are the worst! They can linger on and on, affecting your ability to enjoy life. The constant pounding around and behind your eyes can keep you from getting through your day. The good news is, there is help for sinus headaches. Dr. Craig Shapiro and Dr. Sina Joorabchi, your ENT specialists at Broward Center for Ear, Nose, Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, can help you get relief from sinus headaches.
Sinus headaches happen when your sinus tissues become swollen and inflamed. They are usually caused by an upper respiratory illness like a cold or other virus. The swelling blocks up your sinuses, causing congestion and pain. You may have a sinus headache if you experience:
- Increasing pain when you bend forward
- Increasing pain when you lie down
- Pain in your upper teeth or behind and around your eyes
- Pain and pressure in your forehead or face
- Increasing pain when the weather is cold or damp
There are a few simple home remedies you can try which may relieve your sinus headache symptoms. Consider:
- Applying hot and cold packs above your sinuses several times each day
- Irrigating your sinuses with saline solution every day
- Taking over-the-counter decongestant and antihistamine medications
- Placing a humidifier in your bedroom to moisten the air and soothe your sinuses
For moderate to severe recurrent sinus headaches, it’s best to visit your ENT specialist, who is an expert at treating sinus issues, including headaches. Your doctor may recommend:
- Antibiotics to eliminate infection
- Prescription-strength steroid nasal sprays to reduce swelling
- Allergy testing and allergy treatment for any underlying allergies
In some cases, surgery may be recommended. Balloon sinuplasty is an effective, minimally invasive type of surgery, done endoscopically. The treatment can eliminate any sinus blockages which may be causing your headaches.
Don’t suffer from sinus headaches when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about treatment for sinus headaches and other ear, nose, throat, and allergy issues, call Dr. Craig Shapiro and Dr. Sina Joorabchi, at Broward Center for Ear, Nose, Throat & Allergy in Pembroke Pines, FL, today at (954) 438-7171!